In Spain, there are two types of people that look at properties for sale. Those that just like looking at houses (95%), and those who are serious buyers (5%). At the beginning it is very difficult for us to know who is serious and who is not, and we owe a professional responsibility to our vendors, to bring only qualified buyers into their homes.
We also owe a professional responsibility not to waste the buyer’s time looking at homes they cannot afford, and that for whatever reason may not be suitable for them.
Showing homes is a serious commitment of ours and our vendors time; We only show homes to serious buyers who are prepared to show some commitment to buy.
For these reasons, we ask a variety of simple questions to help us guide the serious buyer to the property that ideally meets their requirements. We will also ask for evidence of finance/mortgage approval, or if paying cash we ask for proof of purchase funds from the applicants bank or legal representative.
For security reasons and matters of client confidentiality, some vendors will not permit viewings unless we have carried out due diligence, and to be quite honest, no serious buyer ever refuses this, as they too understand the need to be taken seriously.
1. How long have you been looking for a home in Spain?
2. Do you need to sell your current home before you can buy?
3. Are you looking at properties with other agents?
4. What price range are you comfortable with to buy your home in Spain?
5. Will this be a cash purchase or will you need a mortgage
6. What type of home are you looking for?
7. What size of home are you looking for?
8. What areas are you considering?
9. If we could find the home in the area that you desire are you prepared to purchase it now?
10. If you need a mortgage have you met with a bank yet?
11. If you need a mortgage have you been pre-qualified or pre-approved by your bank?
12. Have you instructed a lawyer to act on your behalf, or have you decided which lawyer you want to use.
13. Have you applied for your NIE number? You will not be able to buy a home in Spain without one.
14. Are you aware of the buying costs for a home in Spain?
15. What timescale do you expect to buy your home within?